Wednesday, June 29, 2022

School Amongst the Hillbillies of Oklahoma




[1]

Psalm 48:14 Good News Translation

14     “This God is our God forever and ever;
    he will lead us for all time to come.”

 

Grampa lived with us during his last six years. For much of his life he successfully ran his own feather-duster factory in Buchanan, Michigan. Around the year 1900 he became a Seventh-day Adventist. Always insistent on doing everything with his might, he sat his son and daughter down and read E.G. White books to them by the hour.

Margaret, his wife, was blest with good practical wisdom. She took him to task: “Now Papa, you’re going to drive them away from Christ if you keep this up!” He heeded her warning, and the two kids grew up to be his strong supporters.

My mother came as a surprise to the family in 1907. The whole family doted over her and spoiled her. “I never received a spanking,” she would tell me while she wielded the wooden spoon on my backside. I needed it.

When Grampa turned 55, he decided that he had had enough of the entrepreneurial world. He sold his factory and packed the whole family out to the foothills of the Ozark Mountains in Oklahoma. Here, about ten miles outside of the tiny hamlet of Hulbert, the hillbilly children were growing up without any education. When he and Gramma started Ozark Mountain School, they had first graders as old as 21. He raised all of the funds necessary to operate this school from donations, mainly from businessmen in Chicago. Gramma ran the school, functioning as principal, teacher, disciplinarian, dean, and matron.

The sign on the gate read as follows:

Children who Can’t pay
      are welcome Here
Children who Can pay
      are welcome Elsewhere

When my mother, Esther, turned fourteen, they roped her into teaching in the school. In the mid-1920s she went off to college and earned a bachelor’s degree. In 1932 she married Fred Clarke, and in 1936 they arrived in Africa as Seventh-day Adventist missionaries. I was born in Cape Town, South Africa, in 1942.

Gramma passed away in early 1946, and Grampa joined us in South Africa in 1948. He was fiercely independent, and even at 78, he started selling Christian books door to door to support himself. At 85 years of age, he suffered a stroke that caused a steady decline in his health. He passed into a coma that lasted several days. Finally on May 7, 1954, he awoke from his coma. He was very lucid and chatted with a number of people in the house. When he specifically asked to see me, aged 12, they ushered me into his room and left me alone with him. He told me that he was dying and urged me to promise that I would see him in Heaven when all the righteous dead are raised to eternal life. Although I was not as yet a baptized Christian, I made a solemn promise that I would be there. Not many minutes later he passed to his rest.

“Grampa and Gramma” JW and Margaret Barnhurst

 

I have never forgotten that promise, and by the grace of Jesus Christ, I will indeed keep that promise. I trust that God, our God, will lead me for all time to come to that reunion.

 

Thank You, Lord, that I can trust You to lead me until the end.

 



[1] https://documents.adventistarchives.org/ScholarlyJournals/AH/AH19911001-V14-02.pdf


No comments:

Post a Comment