Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Prayer in a Strange Tongue

1 Timothy 2:1
Good News Translation (GNT)
First of all, then, I urge that petitions, prayers, requests, and thanksgivings be offered to God for all people.

Everyone in East Africa in the late 1960's and before feared the Maasai. They were known as fearless fighters, blood drinkers and cattle thieves. Many armed skirmishes took place between other tribes and the Maasai on an almost continuous basis. I had students in boarding school who would tell me how they had spent their school vacations out fighting the Maasai to recover cattle that had been rustled from their father’s farm while they were in school.

In northern Tanzania the Maasai had been particularly resistant to the Gospel, so it was with great joy that we learned there was to be a baptism of some Maasai on the east side of the Pare Mountains. I was asked to drive a group of about 9 of our seminary students to this event in the mission director’s Toyota Land Cruiser.

A hundred or so people were baptized including a few Maasai. Afterwards we stood around talking excitedly and feasting on excellent ugali and relish plus festive fruits and meats. Everyone was excited, and the Spirit of the Lord graced us with brotherhood and inter-tribal rejoicing.

About half of the students I had with me were Wapare whose homes were in the Pare Mountains. So they begged me to drive them over the mountains rather than around the end and back west to Ikizu. I looked at them rather skeptically and said that I didn’t believe there were any roads over the mountains. They admitted this freely but assured me that there were footpaths that were passable for even something as big as our Land Cruiser.

Always ready for an adventure but quite dubious about the possibility of making it, I headed up a steep path in low-range four-wheel-drive. We met a few people on foot or bicycle. Often one or other of the students would know one of the passersby and chatter excitedly as we passed.  Finally, late in the afternoon, we arrived safely at the little village of Suji. The students parceled themselves out for the night, and I stayed with a very friendly and hospitable family.

The family spoke Kipare as their home language and spoke Swahili very well. I knew no Kipare, and my Swahili was halting at best. We managed to keep up a broken conversation, and I learned a lot about the Wapare people, their customs and history. That evening they asked me to pray for them. I had never prayed in Swahili but saw no other way around it. I started out with the familiar first words of the Lord’s Payer: “Baba yetu uliye mbinguni,” and then I was on my own. They expressed their sincere appreciation, and we parted as friends.

I don’t remember what I prayed for in that first prayer in Swahili, but I do remember that it was a more stressful adventure than driving for hours up mountain footpaths. It was the most memorable part of the trip, even more memorable than driving through herds of thousands of zebra and wildebeest on the Serengeti Plains, touring the Olduvai Gorge early human site, exploring Ngorongoro Crater, traversing the mini rainforest with pygmy elephants and lions in trees of Lake Manyara, and skirting the magnificent snow covered Mt. Kilimanjaro.


Thank You, Lord, for the privilege of prayer and how it binds us together as brothers and sisters in Your great family.

No comments:

Post a Comment