Monday, December 27, 2021

It's Not What, It's How

 


[1]

Mark 12:43 Good News Translation

43 He called his disciples together and said to them, “I tell you that this poor widow put more in the offering box than all the others.

 

Once, while I was teaching at Ikizu in Tanzania during the period 1967-1971, the Adventist churches in the whole country set aside the offerings on one Sabbath for Ikizu and its needs. I was excited that we would get enough money to fund some desperately needed projects.

When the money finally came, it was much less than $100. That came from some 20,000 believers. I inquired around and asked what had happened. Why did we receive so little? The members were very candid. Everybody is saying to themselves, “This is to build up the school. Let the Americans provide the money; they have lots of it! They have always done it before.” Tanzania had been independent for less than 10 years. They were still accustomed to the mzungu (white foreigner) providing everything that was needed. This included all that the church needed.

My heart sank. I had visions of the country, and especially the church in that country, taking off and doing great things for God. I used to tell my students that I was there to work myself out of a job. I told them that they shouldn’t be bringing a missionary to teach mathematics. There were lots of Tanzanians who were just as capable as I to do it. They shook their heads in disbelief. (As a matter of fact, I was the last missionary to teach math at Ikizu. When I left there at the end of 1971, we had two Tanzanians on the faculty who were qualified to teach mathematics.)

In 2003 we returned to Tanzania by invitation when the Adventist church was celebrating its 100th anniversary of Adventism in that part of Africa. The celebration was held on the campus of Tanzania Adventist College (TAC). They needed funds to expand the college and to make it into an accredited university. I was privileged to observe how they had taken over fund raising in a very serious and professional way. Within a very short period of time. they had achieved the desired accreditation, and TAC became Arusha University. Last I heard they were seeking to build a second university. Since there are over three-quarters of a million believers, they desperately need more than one university.

We can all learn from the story of the widow’s mites. When we give as we are able—or step out in faith to give even what we think we cannot afford it, the Lord again multiplies as He did with the two coins the widow placed in the offering box.

Lord, expand our vision to encompass the fact that with Your help we can achieve far more than we can possibly imagine.

 

 



[1] https://coinweek.com/ancient-coins/what-are-widows-mite-coins/

No comments:

Post a Comment