Thursday, December 12, 2019

Sharpen Ones Countenance



Proverbs 27:17 
King James Version (KJV)
17 Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.

In high school I earned a distinction in mathematics when compared with the other math students in the Transvaal Province ofl South Africa.  In college I earend a bachelors degree in mathematics. Then I went on to the University of Iowa for graduate studies in mathematics.

Dr Tom Price walked into my first topology class. There were about twenty of us students in the class. He handed  out those old purple mimeographed sheets of paper. The first page had a list of definitions of terms we would use in the class. Open set, closed set, continuous function. Then a list of the statements of theorems followed.

“When you come to class next time, write down the number of each theorem you can prove. I will get you to write down the proof of a theorem for a theorem you have proved on the black board. We as a class will comment on your proof.  See you Wednesday!” and Dr Price walked out the door.

No sweat, I had been proving theorems ever since high school geometry and trigonometry. I came to class the next time having proved several of his theorems. He had me stand up in front of the class—I really hated that at the best of times—and prove a theorem. I started proving that theorem and my fellow students pounced on me like a bunch of piranha fish. They viscously tore apart everything I wrote . I sat back down in my seat and tried to hide my embarrassment and shame. I noticed that they did that to every student who presented a proof.

As the semester wore slowly by, I learned to present a proof that no one would pounce on. I developed a confidence out of that experience that I could prove anything you handed me and no one could find anything to criticize in my logic or presentation. The other students became my friends. I went on to do my mathematical research in algebraic topology, a branch of mathematics that many mathematicians regard as the hardest math field. Why? Because that class had taught me that there was no proof too hard for me in topology.

Thank You Lord  for “friends” who sharpen my countenance.

No comments:

Post a Comment