Sunday, February 21, 2016

Sojourn to Madagascar - Part 11 - Providence and FAMA

Sojourn to Madagascar Part 11 Providence and FAMA

Moth
On Friday, February 12, 2016, I took a nap to help shake a tummy bug I had picked up. At the end of the nap, as I hovered between sleep and wake, I got this overwhelming impression that we were probably never going to get the email addresses for FAMA. I had an equally irresistible urge to get the next issue out pronto. Let me explain.

In 2014 at the last biannual meeting I was elected president of the Fellowship of Adventist Missionaries to Africa (FAMA). I didn’t want the post, but I got it anyway. Everything has gone along fine. We have made arrangements for our next biannual meeting the first weekend of June in Fletcher, NC.

FAMA publishes the FAMA Newsletter roughly once a month, although in 2014 we had 15 issues. Rose Stickle has been the compiler/editor for as long as I’ve known about FAMA. In fact she may have served as its editor ever since the Fellowship was first founded. She has been fighting breast cancer for many years now, but she has forged ahead as editor in spite of her cancer. Then a week after her November issue came out last year, she worsened and died.

Since then the vice president, Bruce, and I have tried to get a copy of the email addresses. However, we had made no headway. I had been communicating with Bruce, and he sounded discouraged. I tend to let things slide when there is nothing I can do about it. Furthermore, my situation in remote Madagascar does nothing to make it easy to do anything else. The fast approaching date, however, could not be denied.

I decided to reconstruct as much of a mailing list as I could and get the details out of the biannual meeting as best I could. I spent Friday afternoon going through our personal address lists and selecting anybody who has ever had anything to do with Africa. I have copies of the last two year’s Newsletters on my computer, so I pulled every email address that Rose had included in these issues. This took hours, and I did not do it on Sabbath. I need all the rest I can get. I ended up with 183 email addresses.

I also called my brother, Elwood, on Friday evening; that’s early on Friday morning for him. He went over to my house and found a folder with a printout of email addresses dated 2008, if I’m not mistaken. Now in the information age, 2008 exists somewhere back in the dark ages. But it was the best we had. He spent I don’t know how much time scanning everything he could find in that folder including snail mail addresses and emailing them to me.

After surveying what he had sent me and trying several tactics to convert the data he had sent, I found that the most accurate was to take the pdf (printer definition file) version and convert it to text. Then I pasted the addresses into MS Excel. Once in Excel I realized I had a gold mine with 540 addresses. I had to massage the data, pull out spaces, and change special characters like “/” and “~” into something. That was purely guessing, of course. Then I created a short “Do Not Reply” email and sent out batches of 75 emails at a time to these addresses. Imagine my dismay when all, 100%, bounced back as invalid.

After doing several hours of sleuthing, I discovered that in creating the email addresses, something somewhere along the line had added a space to the end of each one of them. So I pulled all of the spaces off the ends and resent the 540 emails. This time 438 of them bounced back as invalid.

I also got a terse rebuke from Google blacklisting me for sending so many emails in one day and having so many returned. They had closed my account for probably 24 hours, they claimed. They suggested that I just might be shooting spam out all over the place.

I went home in a black mood. Besides, I was supposed to go to a Valentine program put on by students as a judge of how well the program was organized. The program was to begin at 6:00 and last until 9:00. When I got there a few minutes before 6:00, it was pouring down rain. In fact it had been raining all afternoon. The organizers were having trouble, and I had to stand out in the rain until almost 6:30. Needless to say, I’m sure my mood did not improve my opinion of the program. Sorry guys!

Valentine’s Program

Monday I teach and had several things to do, including writing the evaluation. Finally I decided about 3:30 to go back to the Faculty Lounge where we can get a rather unstable Internet. That’s when I found out that 438 of the second version of my “Do Not Reply” emails had bounced back as invalid. But a few had gotten through. The Dobiases, who had lived next door to us in the 1960’s at Ikizu in Tanzania, had received one of the emails that did make it. They live right within 2 miles (3km) of where our FAMA meeting will be in North Carolina. They not only had gotten our email but were inviting us to stay with them for the weekend. Wow! They just made my day. I was really excited. Maybe we could get something started! Just maybe.

But the best was yet to come! I had sent the emails out in batches of about 75 at a time. So the replies, valid and invalid, for each batch were all clustered in a single line on my screen. The line lists how many replies it has clustered. I was busy entering these values into my Excel screen. On one of these lines my thumbed bumped the line, and it spontaneously opened to a valid reply

I was very busy with the counting and regarded the interruption as a nuisance. I did, that is, until I saw that it was a reply from Susan Stickle Woods, the daughter of Rose Stickle. Her email stated simply:

Hi Will,
My dad Herb has mom's FAMA list. I just helped him transfer it to his computer when I visited last week. I think he might be willing to do the newsletter if someone asked him. 
Susan Stickle Woods
Sent from my iPhone

I was stunned. I was excited. It dawned on my thick skull that this was no less than the hand of God. He had directed me, impressed me, and gotten me off of my proverbial couch and doing something. Now, out of close to 500 emails on that page, mostly junk, he had gotten me to pick out the one email that had the answer I needed. Not even the email to myself that was in the pack that had reached me. And here one had reached me from the only person that had the answer I desperately needed.

I now have incontrovertible proof in my mind that God does want FAMA to move on and become a source of power for the church. Ellen White once wrote that “We have nothing to fear for the future, except as we shall forget the way the Lord has led us, and His teaching in our past history.” (Life Sketches p. 196) One of FAMA’s goals is to try and preserve as much Adventist history in Africa as we possibly can.

God has a really hard time with me. He usually has to hit me up the side of the head with a two by four before He can get me to do something. It took Him three months to actually get me acting on this FAMA challenge. Then in three short days He worked out what Bruce and I had been attempting for three months.  

I phoned Herb Stickle on Monday evening. It took several times to get through. After all, I am using an aggravatingly unstable Internet in Madagascar through to a tiny mobile phone company, Republic Wireless, in the U.S. on a free Wi-Fi line to Canada. He assured me that he was going to spend the day getting the email addresses through to Bruce and me. Herb was not as ready to take up the Newsletter as Susan suggested he might be.

I went to the faculty lounge after class on Tuesday morning, and there were 12 email messages, each with from 60 to 80 email addresses in a separate .vcf file. Stunned, I thought, “Well, I can look at each one, copy the name and email, (3 items) for each file. I hadn’t counted the total number of addresses yet, but in the first email there were 80 .vcf files, and that represented just the names beginning with “A” and “B”!

I asked Google how to convert these into an MS Excel file. In skimming through a couple pages of suggestions, I found two different steps that would do what I wanted. And by the time I went home for lunch, I had an email file with 775 names and email addresses. On Wednesday I taught literally from 8:00 to 5:00 with an hour off for lunch. On Thursday we had a chance to go to Tana (more about that trip later). On Friday I finished the FAMA Newsletter, Sylvia edited it, and I successfully emailed 90 before Google got mad at me and blocked any further emails. Apparently if I try to email more than 50 emails, Google figures it has to be spam and blocks all future emails for twenty-four hours. It also won’t let me send more than 500 per day. Saturday evening I got the total sent out to 450. I had promised our lunch group to try and get them out that week. Well, at least we got the back broken.

Please pray for us in this land of a curious blend of animism and Christianity and the associated devil curses. Pray that God will see us through to getting done what He wants us to do. I wrote the previous sentences several days ago when I was feeling somewhat down from making no headway on the FAMA project. When I got out of bed on Sunday, February 21, and went into the other room to get my electric razor, I suddenly felt an absolute iron grip on my entire upper body. I immediately wondered if I were having a heart attack or a stroke. I felt as if I couldn’t stand up and headed towards the bed in that room. In the process I mentally went through the normal symptoms of heart attack—death, pressure and pain in the chest or arms, nausea, breathlessness. I for the symptoms of stroke—facial distortion, inability to hold arms at shoulder height, occluded vision, slurred speech. I had none of the above and no pain, I was thinking clearly, my heart pulse was strong and normal and regular. The iron grip left as suddenly as it started, but only after I had gone through the checks I mentioned above. I showered, exercised, got dressed, and washed out our drinking water container; everything was normal. Sylvia got up and put breakfast on. I told her about it at breakfast. She said as calmly as if I told her we had just run out of toilet paper, “Oh, it was probably just the devil. He’s quite active around here.” Then she went on to tell me of experiences told in three papers she had received in her writing class and reminded me of the cat experience. Watch for one of her forthcoming “Notes on Madagascar” at this blog site.

In the last Sojourn (10) I mentioned that I had a bit of a tummy upset. It wasn’t bad, just a continuing discomfort and the necessity of dashing to the john once in a while. On Sabbath the 13th of February we attended the English Sabbath School lesson study. My tummy was a bit obnoxious, but bearable. When we found out that the church service was going to be in English, we definitely decided to stay. But the call of nature became somewhat insistent, so I went out back of the church to the long-drop marked Homme. It was the size of a normal outhouse but had no seat, only a hole in the center of the floor. The previous 200 or so users had missed the hole, and there was a pile of excrement sloping up to a foot (30cm) deep at the back of the outhouse. The sight and the wrenching smell was all I needed. I went back to church and told Sylvia I was going home. I prayed that I could walk the 1 km (0.6miles) home before everything burst forth. My prayer was answered, barely. I cleaned up and went to bed and slept for at least a half hour.
The Crippled Lamb
That Sabbath we hosted a potluck at our home for all of the expatriates at the university. The first to arrive at our home was Sylvia. Pam had left off two dishes that needed to be baked, so we put them in the oven. Shortly afterwards Robert and Prity Bairagee arrived. They come from Bangladesh and live like us, without a car. The Payets came in separately; Edwin comes from the island of Reunion near Mauritius. French is his native language. His wife Alphie is from the Philippines and speaks English, so their two kids, Ann and Aldwin (about 8 and 5), speak French, English, and Malagasy fluently. They are two really bright kids and a real pleasure to have around. We brought Max Lucado’s The Crippled Lamb from the U.S. It is one of several kids’ books he has written. This approaches the birth-in-a-stable Christmas story from the viewpoint of a crippled lamb that had to stay in the stable rather than be out on the hillside with the other sheep and the shepherds “watching their flocks by night.” Aldwin leafed through the book and then said that he had read the book in kindergarten and seen the movie! His parents confirmed this. Ann sat down and read through it rapidly. The Payets met at the Adventist University, AIIAS, also in the Philippines.
Edwin, Alphie, Evelyn, Roger, Sylvia, Pam, Ann, Aldwin
I proposed to the Payets that they take us to Morondaba on a forthcoming weekend. Morondaba is a city on the west coast of Mada and in the center of the baobab country. They were amenable, and we’re planning this for the first weekend of March.
Pam, Robert, Ann, Aldwin, Gideon
Once Roger and Evelyn Pelayo, also from the Philippines, joined us, the table was full of delicious smelling and looking food.  I formally welcomed everyone and said grace. Everyone proceeded to eat with gusto. Some hadn’t had breakfast, so they were especially hungry.

Pam and Gideon Petersen from South Africa were at a district meeting on the far side of Sambaina. They had invited us to go with them, but we declined because we were hosting this meal. My runny tummy made me glad I didn’t accept. The Petersens came in much later, after we had already started on Sylvia’s excellent chocolate cake that she had baked from scratch.
From Scratch Chocolate Cake
The company was excellent and the conversation stimulating. In an isolated mission like UAZ it is easy for misunderstandings to develop and feathers to get ruffled. We enjoyed the excellent camaraderie and some intelligent interchanges. People stayed for various lengths of time. We enjoyed every minute of the time. Everyone had left by about 4:30, and Sylvia and I took a well earned nap. It rained on and off the rest of the afternoon, all that night, and all of Sunday. We got about a total of 1 ¼ inches (30mm).

I mentioned that I spent most of Sunday massaging the FAMA data Elwood had gotten, scanned into the computer, and then emailed me. While I was at the faculty lounge, Mme Hanitra came in to use the Internet. I asked her if she and her husband would like to be on the FAMA mailing list. She was very interested, so I got her to write her name on a piece of paper. Hers is very typical of Malagasy names and a good reason why I don’t remember the names of my 165 students. Her name is RANDRIAMAMONJISOA Hanitriniaina; they always write their surnames in all capitals and list them first.

 I have added the most recent FAMA Newsletter to Blogspot so you can see it if you wish.  

#MADAGASCAR, #UAZ, #MALAGASY, #PREACHING, #ANIMIST, #DIARRHEA, #GOOGLE, #DATA, #EMAIL, #FAMA, #SURNAME, #DEVIL, #DEMON, #PROVIDENCE, #GOD, #CHRISTIANITY





No comments:

Post a Comment