Monday, February 8, 2016

Sojourn to Madagascar - Part 10 - Week of Prayer and Volcano

Sojourn to Madagascar - Part 10 - 
Week of Prayer and Volcano

A Zebu Cart in Front of a Jesus Saves Sign
February started out almost like a wholly new experience. The first week was Semaine de Priére, Week of Prayer. I still had the remnant of the cold that blighted the last ten days of January.

Sylvia invited the Semaine de Priére speaker, Pastor Rado, over for lunch on Tuesday. He is the new communication director for the Madagascar Union Conference. He mentioned to us that he has two children, one about 1½ and the other still a babe in arms. He seems older than a man with children that small. Then in one of his sermons he mentioned that his wife died some years ago. So we assume he has remarried. He preached entirely in Malagasy, so I missed out on stories that seemed to keep the kids riveted. Our interpreters couldn’t keep up with the rapid fire Malagasy he was preaching. All we got were disconnected sentences, and it was extremely evident that they weren’t sure what English words to use for some of what he was talking about. With the translators we got we were lucky if they were able to translate even 25% of what was presented.

Classes were rearranged and shortened to make time for a daily worship period at 4:30 each afternoon. Faculty and Staff members were expected down at the church at 7:00 a.m. for an extra meeting each morning. I confess to only making it to the morning meeting on Wednesday. That particular morning Pastor Rado spoke until 8:00, when classes are scheduled to start. Then a local yokel stood up and repeated the sermon, also in Malagasy. Then we had ten minutes of prayer and singing that included repeating the theme song, actually for the sixth or seventh time during this service alone. The song repeats over and over again, “Make me a servant, Lord,” in English without a catchy tune. And no one really means what they are singing, nor do most of them realize what they are actually singing. This meeting was for the faculty and staff of UAZ only. The student meetings were at 4:30 in the afternoon. Then after the song, everyone filed out with dignity and stood in a line outside the door and shook hands with everyone else, repeating “Bon jour no,” or “Salama tompko,” French and Malagasy greetings.

Anitha walked down to the nursing building with me and introduced me to the second year nursing students whom I was meeting for the first time. They then split up into four groups, whom I taught separately for the next four hours. Actually, I only had the first group for twenty minutes on account of the unexplainable behavior at the morning meeting. It dawned on me later that no one has classes on Wednesday morning except the nursing department.

The Nursing Department of UAZ is the largest department. To meet nursing accreditation, the students have to spend every other month out in the hospitals. So all of these students had been interning at hospitals in January. The first Wednesday of February I had 8 new class periods and 112 new students to teach. The new nursing students have the reputation that they can’t learn English. Since they only get English every second month, they are definitely behind the other students I teach. But they are very willing and seem to try. However the second year students seem to be no further along than the first year. I’m currently teaching 165 students total, which is somewhat more than one-third of the total student body.

I was scheduled to teach in NCC 3 (Nursing Classroom). When I got there I found there were no electricity plugs in that room, none, nada, nul. There was one hole in the wall with two wires sticking out of it! I told the powers that be that I had to have a plug to use my computer. They took me to NCC 4 which had a plug that was hanging dangerously out of the wall. When I moved it, which I did when I plugged in my computer, all kinds of flashes sparked out of the back of the plug. They desperately need a fire marshal around!

I started my marathon of 8 hours of teaching 2nd year in the morning and 1st year in the afternoon. I did have an hour off for lunch. I taught the same material to each of the eight classes and approximately 112 students. After a while the whole day degenerated into a blur. I had to keep asking myself, “Have I taught this to this group yet?” During the sixth consecutive period, a woman came to my door and said pointedly, “This is my classroom for this period. I’ve always taught in this room!” She had a whole crowd of students there to back her up.

I stood solidly in the doorway. My mind raced, and I said to myself, “If I were Sylvia I would immediately acquiesce and leave and go nowhere. You need to let the poor lady have her classroom. All of the other classrooms are full.” Anyway, still standing solidly in the doorway I replied, “I was assigned this classroom by Mr. Sajik and Dr. Richards. We need to get someone in authority here to settle the matter and find a room for your class or mine.” She looked very frustrated, and I really feel sorry for her. As the new kid in the block I had no idea how to find another classroom. I stood there in expectation that she knew where to find somebody. She just stood there, so I turned around and went back to teaching the class. I’ve heard nothing more about it. Maybe I will next Wednesday?

This is the second time in about a month that I have been scheduled in a classroom concurrently with another class. Something has to give! At that time another class was already settled in the room. So I took my class up to the Language Lab and unwittingly displaced a class that was already there. There were only three or four students, and they were all sitting at computers. The teacher who was supposed to teach them came in 20 minutes late, so she wasn’t there to defend her turf. I got told about that one by several different people! But, as rear-admiral Grace Hopper once commented, “I found that it was a lot easier to apologize than get permission,” referring to the navy in her case.

So when I bade the last class goodbye at 4:20, I felt like I had just come through the wringer on one of those old fashioned washing machines. I walked up the kilometer-long hill to our house. I desperately needed to sit on the can but couldn’t bring myself to squat over the terribly filthy toilets in the classrooms with no toilet seats and no paper.

I hoped Sylvia would be home so I could use our facilities. I tried to phone her, but my phone died after the second ring—battery dead. The outer door of our house was closed, and my heart sank within me. I tried the door. It was securely locked against intruders, crooks, rapists, murderers, and me. I had my backpack with my computer in it on my back. I didn’t dare leave it at the door. So I headed down the path that goes down to the farm behind our house. It goes through a stretch where no one has done any clearing for several years. I found a number of young pines anywhere from 5 to 10 feet high (2 to 3m). I squatted in this thicket and used the tender branches as paper. I had barely walked 20 yards (20m) back up the hill when I came upon a grandmother, a mother, and a daughter coming down the trail. That would have been embarrassing! As it was, I greeted them cheerfully; they greeted me likewise, and we went on our diverse ways.
A Five Inch (12cm) Spider with the Pine Thicket in the Background
“Why didn’t I have my key?” you ask. Well there is only one key in the entire universe to our house. I tried to get a second key made. They actually made two new keys—neither of which works. When I mentioned this to the powers that be, they each shrugged and said, “Welcome to Madagascar.” We still have only one key. If I were in California, I would long ago have gone down to Walmart, bought a new lock, and installed it. Again, “Welcome to Madagascar.” So! Pine thickets here I come! “Welcome to Madagascar.”

Stop press! Mr. Palaya (maintenance) sent one of his workers over today who dripped some oil in the lock and actually got one of the new keys working. Now both Sylvia and I can be out of the house at the same time and still be able to get back in! Thank you, John and Mr. Palaya.

And more Stop Press: we are booked out of Tana at 3:00 p.m. on the 14th of March. We fly to Cape Town and spend a little over two weeks in the Cape. Then on the 30th we fly out of Cape Town and arrive in Los Angeles late in the evening of the 31st. We should be there just in time to do our taxes. Drum roll, please!

A little over a week ago we had the electricity go off for 3 ½ hours one night. That means Sylvia’s C-PAP quits working. I had to get her to roll over so she could breathe several times during those hours. Pam and Gideon took us down to Antsirabe [say “aunt-sear-a-BAY”] the next day, and Pam and I walked up and down the streets looking for a voltage inverter. We finally found one rated for 1000W and costing 110,000 Ariary. The shopkeeper tested it with a battery and a 30 inch TV, and it worked just fine. We brought it home Friday evening. Gideon parked his car outside our house and showed me how to take the battery out. He was going to actually take it out and put it in our room so we could use it that night. I told him to leave the battery in, and I would come out and fetch it if the lights did go out. They didn’t! At least not that night.

The next day we attended the English Sabbath School and sat next to the Palayas, missionaries from the Philippines. He mentioned that Gideon had told him we needed a battery, so he brought over a big truck battery that evening. It was a godsend. That night the electricity was off for 12 hours! Our fridge self-defrosted. And the battery/inverter worked perfectly. It’s a bit noisy but not bad, and Sylvia really needs it. [Editor’s note: I’m very thankful for this backup power supply.]

Tritriva Volcano Covered with a Forest
On Sunday morning Pam came over about ten o’clock. She wondered if we wished to go to see the Tritriva (say “Cheecheeva”) Volcano and Lake. The road there is really bad, so they wouldn’t take their car. She had spoken with a man who was willing to drive us from Antsirabe the 25 km (15 miles) to the volcano on such short notice for 100,000 Ariary. He spoke English. I jumped at it, and Sylvia was willing to go if I went. Gideon was grading papers, all written in French which he doesn’t speak. He had a student to help him, so he felt he couldn’t go. Whether he wanted to or not I’ll never know.

I cooked up all the eggs we had in the house and made three egg salad sandwiches from three hamburger type buns that were whole wheat and tasted better than those we can usually get in CA. Sylvia went down to the Faculty Lounge to use the Internet to contact an LSU client she has.

I balked at the 100K the driver wanted, and he came down to 80K ($25). He pointed out that the road to Tritriva is very rough. It turned out to be almost impassable for his little car. But he is a careful driver, and we made it just fine. Tritriva is southwest from Antsirabe. It’s on our Mada map as an active volcano. I guess that anything that may have erupted in the last 100,000 years is regarded as active. There are several hot springs near Antsirabe, so there must be something hot close to the surface nearby. There do not appear to be any earthquakes in the area, so it can’t be that “active.”

The whole road out there runs through an area that would be designated as “thickly settled” in Massachusetts. That means that there are houses all along the road. It is intensively cultivated and terraced all the way to the top of the many hills in the area. Tritriva is not terraced. It has a small ash cone near its base. The ash is not as fertile as the “older” sections nearby.

Our driver, Mr Tobi, (he told us to pronounce it the Shakespeare way, as in “To be or not to be”) is an elder in a new Adventist church about 3 km (2 miles) south of the center of Antsirabe. He had been helping paint their new church before leaving to take us out to the volcano. He proudly told us that he had chauffeured Ted Wilson, the president of the Adventist Church with headquarters in Washington DC, during his visit to Mada a few years ago. He also pointed out the Adventist church in the hamlet next to Tritriva village.
Mr Tobi and the Adventist Church near Tritriva
We went through the little hamlet of Tritriva and then turned onto a steep road up the mountain. We paid 5,000 Ariary each (except the driver) to enter the area. It is not very popular; possibly two other cars came in during the two or three hours we were there. He drove us to a parking lot about half way up the mountain. As we got out of the car, a host of anywhere from 10 to 20 kids descended on us. They urged us to buy beautifully polished stones. They walked right in front of us so that we had to slow down so as not trample them. The words “no” and “non” had no effect on them. We finally got to the crest of the crater where we turned to go down into the crater. The kids figured they had us as a captive audience and waited for us on the rim.
Lake Tritriva
Local lore tells us that the crater is bottomless. It is a very elongated lake, and the one rim of the crater must be 500 or more feet above the rim on the opposite side of the lake. It has very steep sides ending in a vertical rock cliff that plunges as much as 100 feet into the lake. The trail spirals down from the rim to a spot where the cliff is low enough so we could touch the water. It sports dozens of species of beautiful flowers in every hue of the rainbow. At UAZ almost all of the wild flowers are yellow, but at Tritriva there was no dominant color.
Lake Tritriva
Sylvia found 2 beautiful skink lizards. The scales on their necks and upper bodies glistened in many iridescent colors. They were each about a foot (30cm) long. She also rustled up a slender, dark snake with two yellow stripes running down its back. There are no poisonous reptiles in Mada, so don’t shudder. The snake must have been almost a yard (m) long. It apparently knew it carried no poison to defend itself, so it rapidly fled our presence.
Skink on a Rock
We hiked all the way around the deep green lake. Then we hiked on up towards the highest part of the rim of the volcano. We didn’t get anywhere close to the top. We stopped at a good lookout where we could see the rough landscape of these highlands of Mada. We were only about 400 feet above our altitude at UAZ. A young man was busy on the slope here, cutting the long grass with a sickle. He mentioned that Jacques Cousteau had claimed the bottomless lake to be 146 meters deep (less than 500 feet).

On our way back to Antsirabe, the poor, misused, but scrupulously clean little car had a flat tire. We were right on the edge of Lake Andraikiba, close to where the bad road joins the tar road. We walked past two soccer games going on in the park connected with the lake while Mr. Tobi fixed his flat.
Lake Andraikiba and Soccer
Back in Antsirabe we stopped to use the bathroom and ate a small ice cream that was actually quite smooth and good. It did have little chunks of ice in it due to carelessness on someone’s part. Then, since Pam was still very hungry, we stopped at the only fast food place in this 3rd largest city of Mada and bought French fries and an ice cream cone. Sylvia settled for a passion fruit drink instead of ice cream.


  
#MADAGASCAR, #UAZ, #HIKING, #MALAGASY, #C-PAP, #FARM, #TRITRIVA, #VOLCANO, #LAKE, #VOLCANICLAKE, #BADROADS, #NURSINGSCHOOL, #WEEKOFPRAYER, #PREACHING, #ICECREAM, #FASTFOOD, #SKINK, #SNAKE, #CLIFF


No comments:

Post a Comment