Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Speaking Well


1 Corinthians 13:1
American Standard Version (ASV)
If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am become sounding brass, or a clanging cymbal.

I grew up attending church on a weekly basis. When I was 12 I was baptized into the church. Already by that time my attention was drawn away from the church and towards many things. The church had become a vast list of do’s and don’ts. I had mastered the list pretty well. I understood the results of leaving the “truth”. But I had reached the point where I had no desire to regulate my life by this list.
My mother had a deep love for speaking English correctly. She spoke and wrote very well. She was the editor of a temperance magazine. She had many college students come to her for help to speak both eloquently and correctly. She was afraid that if we spoke like the kids around us we would never amount to anything. She took Professor Henry Higgins’ philosophy in George Bernard Shaw’s Pygmalion that the way a person spoke had a huge influence on his/her effectiveness throughout life.
When I turned 20 I started attending the church on the US military base in Germany. There was a young man from the hill country of Arkansas, if I remember right. What caught my immediate attention was the most abominable English I had ever heard in my life. It was impossible that he had ever passed even 6th grade English. He was highly opinionated. He was a devoted Pentecostal. Everything about him intrigued me.
But in spite of all the red flags that I detected about him, he took a liking to me. There was a holy Christian love that flowed out from this man. Over the period of several months this Christian love got to me. It slowly melted its way through all the extreme legalism that had been pounded into me and repelled me from the church. Christ became a savior to me, not the strict, unbending  judge that he had been before. It was under his ministration to me that I was saved.
Thank You Lord for your love that flowed through this soldier to me. May Your love flow through me to others!


4 comments:

  1. I am still experimenting with this blog. If you click on "comments" or "no comments" then the computer should give you a box to write your comment. [I'm trying to publish this right now and to do this I'm going to click on "Publish" in a blue button below]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I selected Google and had to sign into my gmail account for it to post it

    ReplyDelete
  3. This third comment is made after I activated Anonymous comments. If people start posting spam etc I'll have to deactivate Anoynmous comments. Wil

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen. This is a beautiful story of your experience, Wil.

    :) Caryn

    ReplyDelete