Thursday, March 30, 2023

Patience is a Virtue

 


[1]

Proverbs 19:11 Contemporary English Version

11 It's wise to be patient
and show what you are like
    by forgiving others.

 

In 2003 we had rented a car in Nairobi, Kenya, then headed south towards a meeting we had in Arusha, Tanzania. When we got to the Kenya-Tanzania border, we passed through the Kenya border with no problem. At the Tanzania customs, the official looked over our documents very carefully. Then he demanded to see my log book. I explained that they don’t require nor give log books for car rentals.

“No! You have to return to car rental and get a log book. You cannot enter Tanzania without a log book.” He was adamant.

I knew he was pushing me to give him a bribe. I don’t believe in bribing people. I could feel the ire coloring my face. My nature wanted me to shout at him and threaten him that I would report him. I was between a rock and a hard place. I didn’t know how much to bribe him with, even if I were willing to do so. I knew what the car rental place would say—they don’t supply log books. Besides it was 155 km (about 100 miles) and three hours’ drive one way back to Nairobi. After talking with the official for a while, just to be friendly, he indicated that I still needed the logbook. Finally, I walked out of the office and sat down in my car.

I grew up in Africa and knew a little of the African way. So, Sylvia and I sat there for well over a half-an-hour. We chatted about our predicament with each other. We prayed silently but displayed only patience—what else could we do?

Eventually, the official came out to our car. “Ï have my aunt here, and she needs a ride to Arusha. Can you take her there?” S well-dressed middle-aged woman with several packages stood behind him.

“Sure,” I said. “We’ll be happy to take her.” I got out and put her things in with ours and made room for her in the back seat of the car. He gave us the correct documents and sent us on our way.

Our passenger spoke excellent English and told us all about the area we were driving through. She was familiar with Tanzania Adventist College (Now Arusha University). She promised that if we dropped her at her place, she would send someone with us to guide us to TAC. He turned out to be a good guide. Without him, we would have had a terrible time finding the place. We paid his bus fare back into town, and he was happy with that.

My red hair, what hadn’t fallen out, indicated natural impatience within me. Reluctant patience paid off, however, benefitted us, and saved us more time than we spent waiting.

Thank You, Lord, for a lesson in patience and for resolving the predicament. Thank You for doing exactly that over and over again with us.

 

 



[1] https://cdn.britannica.com/34/153434-050-863E8023/Mount-Kilimanjaro-Tanzania.jpg

1 comment: