Wednesday, September 14, 2022

"I AM"-- God's Name or Dog Food?

 


[1]

 

1 Chronicles 29:11

Good News Translation

11 You are great and powerful, glorious, splendid, and majestic. Everything in heaven and earth is yours, and you are king, supreme ruler over all.

 

I was walking down the dog food aisle in Walmart when I felt the hair on the back of  my neck suddenly stand up at the blasphemy directly in front of me. Immediately John 8 58-59 flashed across my mind: “I am telling you the truth,” Jesus replied. “Before Abraham was born, ‘I Am’.”  Then they picked up stones to throw at him, but Jesus hid himself and left the Temple. Here was dog food blasphemously bearing the very name of Almighty God. It is so sacred that people were willing to stone Jesus for simply saying it.

When David prayed to God, he used the most descriptive words he knew to describe God. Now, in American English these words have had their very guts torn out of them. Consider:

Great[2]     

 
Powerful[3]   

 

 Glorious[4]

 

Splendid[5]

 

Majestic[6]

 

King

 

Supreme[7]

 Now drop all these trivializations and think of God as He is. He created not only you and me, but also the earth we live on and the Sun that warms us and creates hurricanes on pleasant ocean currents. He created the vast universe that we see all about us. He defeated the arch-enemy, Satan, who aims to destroy all we see about us and that we delight in. He is infinitely more than we can possibly imagine.

Thank you Lord that You are vastly greater than we can possibly comprehend, and yet You love us are personally interested in our success and salvation.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment