Sunday, March 6, 2022

Singing in the Car

 

[1]

1 Chronicles 16:9 King James Version

Sing unto him, sing psalms unto him, talk ye of all his wondrous works.

 

“Daddy! Are we there yet?” “Mommeeeeee! Esther’s got her foot on my side!” “Stop it! Ricky!” “Ow! Daddy, Julia bit me!”

The aggravated voices of the three kids in the backseat would rise to a crescendo. On rare occasion I had to stop the car and belabor the kids—but I quickly found out that that didn’t work; besides I didn’t want the prospect of a car trip to be a prelude to torture.

It’s amazing how long it takes me to remember my childhood. Then I did. I belted out:[2]

I've got a home in Glory Land that outshines the sun
I've got a home in Glory Land that outshines the sun
I've got a home in Glory Land that outshines the sun
Way beyond the Blue
 

“Do Lord, oh, do Lord, do remember me
Do Lord, oh, do Lord, oh, do remember me
Do Lord, oh, do Lord, do remember me
Way beyond the Blue
 

“I took Jesus as My Savior, you take Him too
I took Jesus as My Savior, you take Him too
I took Jesus as My Savior, you take Him too
While He's still calling you
 

“Oh, do Lord, oh, do Lord, do remember me
Do Lord, oh, do Lord, oh, do remember me
Do Lord, oh, do Lord, do remember me
A way beyond the Blue!”

 

Very shortly there were five voices singing at the top of their lungs. Once we finished one song, someone would start another. Most of the songs were praise songs: “Amazing Grace,” “Oh When the Saints,” and so on. We sang a few secular songs, too: “I Know an Old Woman, Who Swallowed a Fly,” “The Ants Go Marching One by One”, etc. All the irritation and complaining were forgotten.

Thank You, Lord, for songs!

 



[1] https://www.google.com/search?q=kids+in+car+singing+images

[2] Vernie O. Fossett, Musixmatch, Do Lord lyrics © New Spring Publishing Inc.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment