Sunday, November 8, 2020

Love the Transgressor

 

[1]

Romans 5:8
Good News Translation
But God has shown us how much he loves us—it was while we were still sinners that Christ died for us!

It was my second year in college. The college bulletin listed 10 actions that were grounds for expulsion. I had offended in 9 of them. I wished I could have claimed all 10. I had a rebellious attitude, and the disciplinary committee met and suspended me for 6 weeks. They were kind to me. I deserved outright expulsion.

When I got home my parents labored with me. They were very persuasive about how my actions would affect my life in the long run. They also emphasized how my current course of action was threatening my eternal salvation. They encouraged me to go back to the college town and see how much I could do to clear up my record. Their logic and reasoning made sense to me. First, I shelved the rebellious attitude; then I went back the 1,500 miles and cleared up as much as I could.

The president of the college found out that I was back in town and what I was doing. I told him I had had a change of attitude and what I was doing to try and rectify things. He complimented me. He then told me that I was not speak to any of the students. Furthermore, he was not willing to ask the faculty to reinstate me into the college He didn’t mention the six-week suspension: he regarded me as having been expelled. He knew he couldn’t stop me from speaking to the students because my brother was at the school. I had not mentioned the six-week limit, but he was letting me know I wasn’t welcome there.

God, on the other hand, bore all my punishments before I committed the sins that demanded punishment. He welcomed me into his kingdom before I was born.

That president may have been frustrated some years later when I returned to the college as a professor. By that time, he was no longer the president, and they had eagerly sought my services. When I was introduced to the students at a college assembly, I mentioned to the whole group that the last time I had been formally connected with the college I had been expelled from there. As far as I could tell, it only improved the way the students accepted me.

 Thank You, Lord, for loving me—and my readers while we were still sinners.

 

Labels:



[1] https://www.linkedin.com/company/helderberg-college/?originalSubdomain=zaa

No comments:

Post a Comment