Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Communion or Controversy

John 2: 9-10
The Message
 When the host tasted the water that had become wine (he didn’t know what had happened but the servants, of course, knew), he called out to the bridegroom, “Everybody I know begins with their finest wines and after the guests have had their fill brings in the cheap stuff. But you’ve saved the best until now.”


Every time I read this verse it brings up not the fact that Christ’s first miracle was simply to remove the embarrassment of running out of wine at a weeklong feast, thus saving face for a family friend and honoring his mother but rather the Adventist controversy over what happened.

When I was in college at Helderberg, a group of boys went into the vineyard of “the Prince” and stole a pillow case full of grapes. We carried this back into the dorm and placed the pillowcase in a tub. Vic took his shoes off, washed his feet, and trod out the juice. Each of us took a gallon glass jug and filled it with the juice. (Vic never got the stains out of that pillow case.)

I screwed the lid down tight and put my jug up in the top of my wardrobe. About five days later I took down the jug, and several of us savored the wine. It was really good, had a nice kick to it. We drank about half of the wine. I resealed the jug, put it back on the shelf, and forgot it for a few days.

One day Ian, a floor prefect, said to me, “Clarke, your room smells like a winery. You’d better do something about it before you get in trouble.” All alcoholic drinks are banned by the church and, since Helderberg is a parochial college, were banned on campus.

I opened the wardrobe door and looked at the jug. It was empty, completely empty. I grabbed it by the ear of the bottle and took it down. The bottom of the jug had broken out neatly in a perfect circle and remained on the shelf. The wine had run down between the boards of the shelf and soaked my one and only suit. I never did get the stains out of the suit either.

At the time I was sorely disappointed over the loss of a good drink. Since then, my friends and I have always had a good laugh at my troubles.

Adventists have debated whether the wine Christ made at the wedding feast and the Passover wine that was served at the Last Supper were unfermented or fermented wine. Ever since I saw how quickly my grape juice turned into wine, I have leaned towards thinking of the “finest wine” as being fermented. This doesn’t mean that I keep wine in my house, however.

Lord, please keep us from losing the magnificent blessings of Christ’s miracles by mundane debates over particulars.





[i] http://mattstone.blogs.com/photos/christian_art_symbols/communion-wine.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment