Monday, November 16, 2015

The Elusive One-ness with God

John 15:6
The Voice (VOICE)
If anyone does not abide in Me, he is like a branch that is tossed out and shrivels up and is later gathered to be tossed into the fire to burn.
On Hindu New Year I went to the BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir (temple) in Chino Hills. Hundreds of people were out for the festival of the feeding the gods. I was assured by one of the elders that this branch of Hindu is monotheistic. Tucked between patterns of lotus blossoms, peacocks, and intricate lattice work, thousands of exquisitely carved figures in formal poses, each unique, adorned the white marble interior as well as the red sandstone exterior of this beautiful temple. He went on to explain that these represented those who through many reincarnations and endless effort had achieved perfect harmony with the one God. They no longer had to suffer the endless reincarnations but were living with God. Looking through their literature in the adjacent gift shop, I found that these magnificent achievers are (lesser?) gods. Their lives are full of high adventure trying to help those still on earth escape their corporal bondage. Behind golden doors are the extremely beautiful gods and goddesses clothed in gold, scarlet, and bejeweled all over. On this blessed New Year’s Day (Diwali), beautifully arranged as an offering on steps in front of each of these gods lay an almost endless supply of the best Indian foods, all vegetarian, of course. Every inch of the Mandir was permeated with the delicious aroma of curry.
Martin Luther wrote of his experience in trying to achieve this oneness with God, “When I was a monk, I read mass daily. I weakened myself with prayer and fasting so much that I couldn’t have kept it up for much longer. Yet all of my efforts couldn’t help me in the smallest temptation. I could never say to God, ‘I have done all this. Look at it, and be merciful to me.’ What did I achieve with all this striving? Nothing; I merely tormented myself, ruined my health, and wasted my time. Now I’m forced to listen to Christ’s judgment on my works. He says, ‘You did all this without me. That’s why it amounts to nothing. Your works don’t belong in my kingdom. They can’t help you or anyone else obtain eternal life.’

“So in this passage, Christ has passed a terrifying judgment over all works—no matter how great, glorious, and beautiful they might appear. If these works are performed apart from Christ, they amount to nothing. They may appear to be great in the eyes of the world, for the world considers them excellent and precious. But in Christ’s kingdom and before God, they are truly nothing.”[iii]

Thank You Lord for Your infinite sacrifice to make me holy in Your sight, to fit me to be united with You forever in Your home. Thank You for taking my life and having Your Spirit live Your life in me.


[i] https://www.gg2.net/newImage/original/1357118117_04_Mandir_3.jpg
[ii] http://www.baps.org/Data/Sites/1/Media/LocationImages/LocationPhotos/43GuidedTour_001.jpg
[iii] Luther, Martin By Faith Alone 1998 ed. James C. Galvin pub. World Bible Publishers, Iowa Falls, Iowa, on the reading for November 2

No comments:

Post a Comment