Friday, November 6, 2015

Recession & Recovery

Psalm 16: 6-7 
(New International Version, ©2010)
6 …Surely I have a delightful inheritance. 
7 I will praise the LORD, who counsels me; 
   
   My parents went to Africa in the middle of the great depression. Dad taught at a small Christian college there, and Mom stayed home to look after us. Salaries were never enough, but they were frugal and educated us two boys in Christian schools. This often meant going without a much needed pair of shoes to keep us in school.
    
   Due to the political issues in Africa, I was shunted off to boarding school at the age of 12. I learned to fend for myself. After I fell in with bad company, only the grace of God kept me sober and out of jail. Because of a pharisaical, legalistic emphasis at the school, I was persuaded that I had out-sinned God’s grace and was destined for eternal punishment. A young soldier took an interest in me and my soul; and refused to give up until I came to know the real grace of a loving God.
    
   After 12 years as missionaries in Africa, my wife and I returned to the States essentially penniless but happy and content in the Lord. Decades later we own our home and have been living out of debt for many years.
[i]
   During the recent recession, my brother and both of my brothers-in-law, along with many others in the family, lost their jobs. I kept mine. Our children are all employed. Friends ask me why I didn’t retire earlier. I reply that as long as I enjoyed my job and I had the health, I’d continue working.
    
   Am I uncertain about the future? Yes! Indeed. But I am certain of one thing: we serve a marvelous God. He has blest us through 50 years of married life, through poverty but never want, through rough times but with a strong faith that the grace of God is still abundantly more than enough to meet our deepest needs. Retired now, we live comfortably with the assurance that this is but a prelude to the delightful inheritance awaiting us.
    
   Praise to You, Lord God Almighty, for the sure inheritance you have prepared for us!
  
_____________________________
[i] http://abcnews.go.com/images/WNT/abc_wn_harris_jobs_120504_mn.jpg

   

2 comments:

  1. In reading through your bloggs I notice that you often recite love spirits for South Africa, your land of birth. In Tanzania and particularly during 'those years' mentioning South Africa positively was akin committing treason. No body ever traveled to that country. Of late every other youngster dreams of going to make a living in S. Africa. Its said to be a land of opportunity.
    Would you opt to live and die in your country of birth. If not , why ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Except for a couple brief furloughs my parents had, I spent the first 19 years of my life in South Africa and Southern Rhodesia. I still love the countries and I'm sad to see how crime has increased so badly there. The gold mines in South Africa have been a drawing card for a lot of young men from the north for many decades. Unfortunately those who go there often damage their health by working deep underground day after day.

    As for living there? I would enjoy it in many parts of the countries, except for the rampant crime.

    Tanzania is a lovely country to live in. I was also saddened to see how people in Tanzania are living in fear of crime and have had to build concrete walls 3 meters or more high to fend off the criminals. As the spirit of the Lord is being withdrawn from the earth I expect that crime will increase everywhere.

    ReplyDelete