Sunday, May 17, 2015

Do It Right the First Time

Genesis 39:19-20
The Voice (VOICE)
19 When Potiphar heard his wife’s account, his face flushed with anger. 20 So Potiphar, Joseph’s master, put him into prison and locked him up in the place where the king’s prisoners were confined.

In the center of the university business office stood a huge work bench. No one had ever cleaned it, and the pattern of the linoleum covering of the bench could barely be seen because of the filth, grime, stain, grunge, and dirt on it. Workers had obviously spilled their Postum®, hot chocolate, or root beer while eating their greasy sandwiches on it. No one had ever even wiped it off. All of this had dried on and was camouflaged by pencil traces and erasings, ball point pen marks, and ink spills.
It was my duty to clean the business offices every night after the day crew had given up and gone home. I would start working about six o’clock in the evening and work through till midnight or much later. When I went back to my room, the offices were always thoroughly cleaned and sparkling when I got done−except for this work bench eyesore.

For well over a year I had waited for someone to say something, suggesting that the horrid thing be cleaned. No one ever did. During the work day it was usually more than half covered with the normal papers and documents of interest. It probably didn’t seem as bad to them as it did to me when I came in.

One night I finally decided I needed to do something about that work bench. I got out the best cleaning chemicals we had. I took the professional grade steel wool and went to work on it. By three o’clock in the morning I had cleaned half of it, and that half looked beautiful. I had classes in the morning, so I went back to my room and caught a few hours of sleep before my morning classes. I figured I would get the other half done the next night.

That afternoon my boss called me in. The university business manager had called him. He was furious that whoever cleaned the offices had only done half of his work. Half of the work bench was still so terribly filthy that it couldn’t be used. He had gone on and on about it until my boss was afraid he might trigger an aneurism.


[ii]
My boss was a prince of a man and extremely understanding. When I told him about the work bench and how it had never, ever been cleaned and how long and hard I had worked on it, he understood. But he knew more about human nature than I did. He recognized that people don’t look at the part well done but only on the part still undone. He taught me a great lesson. As with  Joseph, I had been doing the right thing all along, and it only rose up to bite me.

Thank You, Lord, that You read my heart and motives and understand why I do things and then respond accordingly.



[i] https://superriska.wordpress.com/2013/02/02/lessons-from-dirt-and-dirty-dishes/
[ii] http://godcenteredmom.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/mean_boss_aa035791.jpg


#MISUNDERSTOOD #FAULTFINDER #LEARN #LESSON #MOTIVES #HARDWORK #IE #CALIFORNIA #JOSEPH 

No comments:

Post a Comment