Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Into Civil War or Not

Proverbs 16:9
The Voice (VOICE)
People do their best making plans for their lives,
    but the Eternal guides each step.


After five very interesting years at Ikizu in Tanzania, we returned to Iowa City so I could work on a Ph.D. The General Conference secretariat instructed me in writing that they were letting me study but there would be no place for me in the Afro-Mideast Division when I was through. The letter directed me to find another job when I graduated.

After three full years of study, the end was in sight, and I started looking for a position in the Adventist educational system. Two places sought me, the first to teach math at Middle East College in the Afro-Mideast Division and the second also to teach math but at Helderberg College in South Africa.

The call to MEC came first, and we started preparing ourselves for the eventuality of going there. We talked to several returned missionaries from Beirut, Lebanon, where the college is located, and they painted a mixed picture. Lebanon was in the midst of a deadly civil war. Each of these missionaries would talk with me about the plusses and minuses. Then, invariably, he would reach into his pocket and pull out a spent bullet.

“This came through two walls and embedded itself in a third wall in our daughter’s bedroom. God was looking after us and no one was hurt,” was a typical story.

You can imagine that this might be a bit disconcerting to a novice unused to living in a war situation. However I don’t remember being afraid. I figured that the Eternal was in charge. If He wanted us at MEC, then He would look after our safety.

At this time a group of Egyptian students were studying at the University of Iowa, and they advertised a semester long class in Arabic as a goodwill gesture. I signed up and attended regularly. Since Swahili has derived a lot of its vocabulary, including its numbers and abstract nouns, from Arabic, I made excellent strides. My teachers were very pleased with my progress.

But the Eternal had other plans for us. As the fourth year of study went by and I approached graduation, He made it abundantly clear that His place for me was at Helderberg, a continent away from Arabic and MEC.


Thank You, Lord, for guiding each step of our lives. I ask that You continue doing so in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment