Wednesday, January 7, 2015

You've Heard It: "I'm GOOD!"

Mark 10:18
New International Version (NIV)
18 “Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone.

We spent two terms of service in Africa, one of five years, the other of four. Each time when we returned to the United States, we experienced significant culture shock.

For example, when we greeted someone, we would often ask, “How are you?”  Almost invariably the answer was “Good!” This really rankled. I was used to people answering “fine!” or “well!” But “good?” That sounded pompous, even presumptuous. I got this mental picture of the “good” person polishing her halo or brushing his fingernails contemptuously on the lapel of a jacket. To me it smelled of the “ugly American” attitude.


Every time someone answered this way, Jesus statement in this verse crossed my mind. Of course, I mentioned my reaction to some people whose knowledge of English usage I valued. They would condescendingly remind me that the word ‘good’ is simply a synonym of ‘fine’ or ‘well.’ It is so ubiquitous that once in a while I find myself responding “Good!” when asked about my state of being. Then I catch myself and shudder.

Moving to California I suffered more culture shock. Sitting at table with someone, I would offer him or her dessert or bread or something else to eat. The usual response is the gloating statement, “I’m good!” Confused, I explain, “I wasn’t concerned about your state of being, whether you are good or bad; would you like x?” Again the baffling reply, this time with added emphasis, “I’m GOOD!” On rare occasions when I have the audacity to inquire a third time, the response is an even more emphatic, “I’m REAL GOOD!”

It is truly rewarding to live amongst so many good people.

Thank You, Lord, that You are indeed really good and, furthermore, that You are so very good to us!



No comments:

Post a Comment