Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Be Merciful like God is Merciful

Luke 6:36
Good News Translation (GNT)
36 Be merciful just as your Father is merciful.

It was vacation time at university. I was seriously courting Sylvia. Aunt Mildred invited us to come north and spend the weekend with her. Since my parents were missionaries in Africa, Aunt Mildred, my Dad’s sister, was the closest relative I had. Sylvia persuaded her father to loan us their VW Bug for the 5 hour trip.

It was fairly late in the morning, and Sylvia’s parents were both working when we tucked our things in the Bug, and I backed the car out of their garage. I hadn’t driven their Bug before; in fact, it had been several years since I had driven any vehicle. With my interest focused much more closely on the love of my life than on driving, I turned too abruptly and bumped the right fender against the garage door. We both surveyed the very nasty dent I had made in the formerly immaculate car.

We chatted about many things as we made our way north, but the dent was firmly in my consciousness at all times. I explored as many options as I could think of to fix the dent. I talked with my cousin’s husband who was a mechanic about getting it fixed. Every solution required more time and money than we had.

Finally I had to face the music. When we returned I approached Sylvia’s father with fear and remorse. I didn’t have ready cash for the repair but would pay it off as I worked. He looked at me and smiled. He assured me that it would be no problem and he would take care of it. The next time I visited their home, the fender was as good as new. He never mentioned it again.

Thank You, heavenly Father, that You are as ready as he was to daily show me unlimited mercy and forgiveness for all of my faults and blunders, minor or serious.


No comments:

Post a Comment