Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Reward

2 Chronicles 15:7
New King James Version (NKJV)
But you, be strong and do not let your hands be weak, for your work shall be rewarded!”

It had been a long, hot summer. Ken and I worked the whole summer tearing out the rickety old wooden floors of a three story building. The walls were of solid masonry and, short of an earthquake, would stand for a very long time. We found a manufacturer of particle board and got a large supply of seconds from them for a song. We built supports that would hold the weight of concrete as we poured it.
We put the steel reinforcing rods where they were necessary and put in electrical conduit to appropriate points in the building. We poured the concrete. After giving the concrete time to set and cure, we removed the supports.
Ken and I were both teachers. Since there were no classes in the summer time, we were expected to work on campus during the summer. That way we earned our summer wages. That was probably the heaviest summer work I had to do during my teaching career.
I visited the building about two-and-a-half years ago. It is currently the college library and still looks great after 30 years of use. I’m still proud of the work I did there.
You’ve heard that anything can be accomplished as long as it doesn’t matter who gets the credit. During the next academic year Ken was honored highly for his part in the construction and given a generous bonus. He deserved everything that he was awarded. My name was not mentioned. The promise in this text is that, in the sight of God, everyone will be rewarded for work done.
Thank You, Lord, for giving us the privilege to have a part in working in Your kingdom here on earth. Thank You for the promise that You will indeed reward us abundantly for our part.




2 comments:

  1. There is a verse in the Bible which you once read me. Unfortunately, I can't find it quickly for this blog; 'whatever thy hand findeth to do; do it with all your might ...'. I often imitated your fast way of self conduct in almost every thing that you engaged in. You once remarked that I was talented. I felt encouraged. Pastor Dunder, on the one hand, used to categorise me as a hard worker. I found those words very fondling. He was so sincere that he wanted to meet my parents, something that became true when he travelled with his whole family to spend a night at my village home in Tarime in December 1971. This encouraged me to study harder. In fact words from teachers did qualified me rightly for the future activities.
    You as a retired teacher have no course to regret or fumble about life time achievements by the mare fact that you have not been awarded a rightful place before colleagues.
    Remember the countless experts that you helped create and their achievements in Tanzanian public life. I hope you know even those few of students of yours who crossed the oceans to serve even in the USA. You should rejoice. I am sure your reward, believably, is big in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind and gracious words. I do feel very highly rewarded for the opportunities I had to influence thousands of students' lives. When we were back in Tanzania in 2003 we met a number of students who, like you, have done very well and made a great contribution to society and the Lord's work. That was extremely gratifying.

    I think the verse you are referring to is Ecclesiastes 9:10 "Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest." I have certainly quote that verse many times, and used it as a guide in my life. Consequently I think I have certainly enjoyed life as much as anybody has.

    When we were teaching in Tanzania we were too poor to own a car. So we never got to visit the families of many of my students. It would have been a real pleasure to have done so, but we all are limited by our circumstances. But in spite of this we enjoyed the rich experiences we had in Tanzania, and learned to love the people.

    ReplyDelete