Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Prayer in the Classroom

John 7:24
New International Version (NIV)
24 Stop judging by mere appearances, but instead judge correctly.”

 Teaching mathematics at a Christian university was my career. For years I taught math the same way it had been taught to me. Some teachers would pray at the beginning of their class period, but I knew no mathematician who prayed at the beginning of class.

Many students were jarred out of bed the very last minute by a harsh alarm, dressed hurriedly, and dashed wildly for class. They had no time for breakfast or devotions. So when I taught a class that met during the first period of the day, I would often read a Bible verse, say a few words about why I chose that verse, and have a brief prayer for wisdom for the day. This would only take about 2 or 3 minutes max. From then on it was all mathematics. Over the years I had a number of students that actually mentioned to me that they appreciated the verse and prayer.

 Every year or so administrators urged us to start every class with prayer. I usually remarked to my colleagues that it just seemed out of place in a mathematics classroom. Finally after years of resistance, I decided “Why not give it a bash!” So I started repeating a verse, blurb, and prayer at the beginning of every class, not just first thing in the morning.

Not very long afterward I was summoned to my chair’s office. There had been an angry complaint about my wasting 20 minutes and more of the class period preaching to the students. My chair was very upset and started to demand that I cease and desist. I mentioned that I was merely following the President’s recommendation. I pointed out further that there was no way it was taking 20 minutes of the class period. “Well, time it for the next few days and let me know how long it is taking.”

Of course I knew immediately who had made the complaint. Don (not his real name) was having an extremely difficult time with math and expressed his frustration by criticizing everything that went on. I timed my devotionals, and they took less than four minutes, including reading the roll each day. I also went out of my way to encourage and befriend Don. He had come from a very rough background and had done a stint in the military. We became good friends. I wish I could say that he successfully passed the class. He didn’t, but I stayed in touch with him and encouraged him until he did pass it successfully the next term.

If I were to do my career over again, would I pray at the beginning of every class? Yes! I have evidence there were a number of students who were blessed by the practice. The episode with my chair was simply an attempt by the enemy of all things good to discourage me.

Thank You, Lord, for having the patience to eventually get me to see the wisdom of bringing You into my math classes. Sorry that it takes me so long to implement Your ways instead of mine.







No comments:

Post a Comment