Thursday, April 17, 2014

A Time of Trouble

Daniel 12:1

GOD’S WORD Translation (GW)

12 “At that time Michael, the great commander, will stand up on behalf of the descendants of your people. It will be a time of trouble unlike any that has existed from the time there have been nations until that time. But at that time your people, everyone written in the book, will be rescued.

We were driving along old US 66 when we came to a gas station that had an excellent price if we paid by cash. Going inside I gave the rather haggard, old woman at the till $40 and went out and pumped my gas.

When I came back inside to get my change, she was nowhere in sight. I stood waiting. Eventually I saw her waddling her very bulky body back towards the till. I called out “I guess there’s no rest for the wicked or peace for the lousy!”

She laughed and called back “I haven’t heard that in a long time!”

When she finally limped back to the till, she told me she really didn’t want to work, “But I’m glad I got a job! You know it’s the pits to get old!” She looked at least as old as I, though she may have been a lot younger.

“Yes!” I said, “It is the pits to get old—but it sure’ beats the alternative!”

“I don’t think so!” and her face frowned even deeper. “You know it’s going to get a lot worse than it is now!” She was deadly in earnest. “Do you know what’s coming?”

She went on: “You know no one comes through that door by accident!”

“You mean there’s a real time of trouble coming.” I agreed with her.

“Absolutely!” she said as she handed me my change.

“Thank you!” I said as I took the money. Then I leaned across the counter and looked her square in the eye. “The grace of Jesus Christ is going to see both you and me through it!” I assured her with sincere conviction.

Her face instantly glowed with the same assurance. I don’t think I have ever seen a face full of doom and despair transform so instantaneously to vibrant, radiant joy. “You’re very right!”

“God bless you!” I called as I walked out the door.

What tremendous joy the grace of Christ holds for us even though we allow troubles to obscure it at times.


No comments:

Post a Comment